Monday, February 7, 2011

Paper Reading #7: Ben Neill and Bill Jones: Posthorn

Title:
Ben Neill and Bill Jones: Posthorn

Comments:
Felipe Othick
Paola Garza

Reference:
Neill, Ben and Jones, Bill. Ben Neill and Bill Jones: Posthorn. Chi EA 2010. http://delivery.acm.org/10.1145/1760000/1753927/p3107-neill.pdf?key1=1753927&key2=1040217921&coll=DL&dl=ACM&CFID=9150391&CFTOKEN=53800146

Summary:
This paper describes the authors' posthorn production.  This is a two part system.  The first of which is the mutantrumpet which is three trumpet horns along with a trombone slide all rigged into one instrument.  This instrument has both a microphone on the end as well as a device that maps the acoustics to MIDI format.  The digital part of this system has three programs:

1.  It has a program that grabs samples from the MIDI and compares that sample to the history of the musical peace which allows the piece to evolve in real time.
2.  A program grabs the sample sequences and processes the audio output
3.  A program translates the MIDI into digital video control (creating visual effects) in real time.

The second part of this system is the visual creation and display.  Based upon the various factors that come along with music, the visual effects are dynamically changed in real time.

Discussion:
The paper was very difficult to see exactly why this was created and what purpose they were actually using it for.  I feel like I basically understood what was going on, but much of the article is ambiguous.  When it talked about the visual aspect of the system it did not expound upon any sort of way how this was done.  I also have no idea why they did not simply take a regular instrument.

Concerning future work, I would say focus on the visualization based upon the input.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that in this paper there didn't seem to be a defined goal other than providing interaction between the user and the strange instrument. I think another good focus for future work would be to make this system work with regular instruments so more users can use it. As you pointed out, I'm not sure why they chose the mutantrumpet over a normal instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an interesting endeavor, but yes, I'm wondering what the researcher is trying to learn from this, and what other applications it could be applied to?

    ReplyDelete